2.16.2011

one five

I love this shot of Nathan. I'm pretty sure that if I had just taken it from a different angle, we could have seen some pretty sweet crack action.


His name is Nathan.
Most people call him Nate.
At work, he's known as "Dr. McDreamy." (That is a true story.)
What do I call him?
"Nathe."
With an h.
Because I believe that every person should have a name for their love that only they get to use.

Nathe calls me "Er."
As in "air."
As in "you are the very air [Er] I breathe."
He's so romantic, that Nathe.

At a luau in 99.

When I was little I had this grand idea of what it would be like when I first met my future husband.
We would see each other from across the room and then...
Everything would freeze.
The orchestra would start playing.
And we'd gaze knowingly, longingly into each other's eyes.


I'm happy to report that that's exactly the way it happened.
At least for me.
Nate didn't really even notice me. (Even though we were paired as dance partners 2 min later.)
He certainly wasn't interested.
He was a 26 year old Phd student.
I was an 18 year old wide-eyed Freshman.
He thought I looked 13. (He was right.)
I thought he looked perfect: tan skin, dark hair, blue eyes
He preferred brunettes, and I was blond.
Thank goodness fate forced us together for a 6-week tour to China so that he could come to realize how smart, spiritual and ultra-deep I am.

Horseback riding in 2000


The way Nate tells it, I tricked him into marrying me.
Apparently, I booked the temple/reception center and gave him a deadline for proposing.
That may or may not have happened.
(Hey, I know how to get what I want.)

Feb 16, 1996
"The waist lines have grown a few inches (unfortunately) and Nate's hair has shrunk a few inches (thankfully).

Dear Nathe,
I think you are really handsome.
And the most amazing father to our children.
And you're great at fixing things (which is really handy).
And you're pretty much the most intelligent person I've ever met.
Basically, you're my favorite.
Happy 15th.
Let's make it eternity.
I love you,
your Er (air)

13 comments:

Chelsea said...

Darling, darling, darling! You two... what a great story of how he robbed the cradle:) haha. You both lucked out with each other, and I lucked out to be put in the mix too, years later! I love you both, and hope you had a wonderful day celebrating love!

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lettie B. said...

Wow! 15 years! Congratulations you two. And I was so amused by your writing again that this time I had to read it out loud to Nate because it was so good.

J. Melody said...

Having witnessed most of this story take place, I must agree you always have made a great pair. And now you've made a beautiful family to boot. Congrats on the big 15!!

matt and eve lloyd said...

Matt and I need to immediately think of special nicknames for each other. I just stole his sisters, which is Matty. Highly confusing when we actually have a sister named Maddie. However it happened, I'm super glad you "tricked" Nate into marrying you. :) (I did the same with Matt. He was completely uninterested.) What would we do without him around? Hope you had a wonderful anniversary!

R AND R AND Z said...

Happy Aniversary. So romantic.

maddie said...

love this. love the names. hope you had a wonderful day!

Tyler and Dru said...

ern, what a great post. i freaking laughed my head off! you're too funny. love the names. good thing he didn't try to steal ern! but mostly i just love you two!! what a great addition nate has been to the family! hope you guys had a wonderful day! come home already. (i may just have to end every comment with that, from now on.)

Tyler and Dru said...

ern, what a great post. i freaking laughed my head off! you're too funny. love the names. good thing he didn't try to steal ern! but mostly i just love you two!! what a great addition nate has been to the family! hope you guys had a wonderful day! come home already. (i may just have to end every comment with that, from now on.)

Tyler and Jeena said...

Love and miss both of you. Great post!

Andrea said...

I love this!!! Happy Anniversary!

Kristy said...

You both are so perfect. I'm glad you are together forever. And those are really great pictures. I was telling Kelly about the Luau just the other day. Happy 15th to you!!!
love ya

yamsey said...

Happy 15th! I love the post!