8.07.2012

The stories I don't want to pass over.

Consistency.
It's not my strong suit.
As clearly evidenced by this blog.
Well, I take that back.
I'm consistent in the areas that really matter.
I pray and read scriptures with my kids (almost) every day.
I make my bed and brush my teeth.
I constantly harp on the kids about vegetables, sunscreen and 
'for heaven's sake let's be kind to one another.'
I get the things done that have to be done.
I just rarely get to the projects on my to-do list. (Where is that list?)
Like blogging for example.
If only there were 100 hours in each day.


I recently had over 6000 miles in the car to organize the thousands of photos 
on my computer.
It was glorious. (Organization makes me happy!)
In doing so, I realized all the stories I have yet to tell.
So many missed opportunities to share the cute things my kids have said and done, 
and the fun experiences we have had together.
It makes me sad.
And makes me want to try harder to record those memories for my family.


There is no way to catch up on everything.
But here are the 2012 highlights that I must share....



LOVE NOTES
"To: Tess
From: Nora
I am sorry. I want you to be happy. 
I am so sorry for breaking your necklace.
Will you forgive me ________?
And I know it is special."



LOSING TEETH

David quickly learned that leaving teeth for the tooth fairy is a much faster/easier way to make money than doing those stinkin' chores. 
His philosophy: If it's at all wiggly, it's coming out. 
Sometimes he recruits his dad to help:





ART NIGHT
This is the 2nd Annual Art Night that I have chaired at the school. It's pretty exhausting but I love it! And it's so worth the effort when you see all the students proudly displaying their art. This year was especially fun because I was hobbling around on an undiagnosed torn ACL (with extensive bone bruising), climbing ladders and bending in all directions to get the displays up. By Friday night I could barely stand on my feet.
Good times.




PHYSICAL THERAPY ON THE SMURF TURF
My view overlooking BSU stadium while rehabbing my torn ACL. It's quite motivating. 
I just know I'll be back to dancing at half-time in no time. (haha.)


DAVID'S BROKEN WRIST

David broke his wrist at school while doing the monkey bars with gloves on. His hands slipped, he landed wrong and chipped off part of the growth plate... which meant 2 trips to the ER... one to get x-rays and then one later that evening to have it re-set once they realized how serious it was. They had to bring in a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon.
(He turned out to be an LDS guy that had lived in the same ward boundaries that we did in Philadelphia just a couple years after we left. We sat excitedly chatting while David lay in agony. Poor Davey. At the end I told the doc to thank his wife- a mother of 5- profusely for letting him get away on a Fri night. I understand her position perfectly.)
Then a week later David pulled his cast off 'because it was bothering him' and had to have it re-cast (but only after he hid under the bed for a while so as not to be discovered). Again, this all took place after business hours. 

Silly Davey. Way to make this as expensive as possible.


NATURE AT HOME
We live on a ridge at the edge of Boise. It's beautiful but it means that we get a LOT of animals around these parts. Last year we had 2 bunnies that lived under the shed. We affectionately named them 'Bob' and 'Bob's brother.' Well, ahem, they had a busy year. Now we have 10 bunnies and also an adorable family of quail that live in our yard. During the winter we get up to 8 deer at a time. They enjoy eating away at our plants/bushes. The worst for sure are the snakes and mice. (Shouldn't the snakes eat the mice??) Many people on our street get cats to kill the mice, but then the coyotes eat the cats. It's kind of a problem. 

Here is what a mouse nest looks like inside a piano (in case you were wondering):

Ahh, that's why the dog's food has been disappearing.


DORI AND I VISIT WYATT'S FAMILY IN MICHIGAN

 If you ever have the choice to live anywhere in the country, choose BLOOMFIELD HILLS, MI. And then invite me to come visit you...because it's the loveliest place I've ever been.
Thanks Wyatt and Chelsea for a delightful stay!
Chelsea- you are so fun to be with!... and my style guru.

Wy- you may just be the most selfless man I know. 
God only had to give me one brother because he got it exactly right the first time.


This darling Tudor is the home that my family lived in 35 years ago while Dad was a derm resident in Grosse Pointe, MI. Yes Mom, it's still sooooo charming.

Oh Michigan (the place of my birth)- I love you. Hopefully I'll be back soon. Next time I'd like you to introduce me to your Great Lakes. I've probably seen them but I was too young to remember.



NATE IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Nate will never toot his own horn, so I have taken it upon myself to do so.


Keynote speaker at the Red Cross Appreciation Dinner. 
He had the entire room sniffling as only Nate can do.
Afterward there was a line of people just waiting to shake his hand.
And a line of people waiting to congratulate me for being married to such a man.
Don't worry- I know how lucky I am.

Receiving grant money for pediatric cancer research.

An article appeared in the Idaho Statesman:

Thanks babe for working so hard and providing so well for our family.
You make me proud!



1ST GRADE CHOIR CONCERT
I was busy snapping away on the camera when I noticed David's shoes. 
Man, that kid is quirky.
(And for the record, I adore quirky.)


P.S. This post took me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to put together, but man-oh-man that ipiccy can do some fun things with pictures. I was having a grand old time playing around. I'm loving the 'Orton Effect' as you can probably tell.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Oh your posts are the best!! So many funny things! And how COOL is that for Nate?! He is awesome. I would really love to hear what it was about sometime. Can we all just agree that your kids are the coolest? Why do they do so many funny/random things? I love it.

ps- that mice nest has me squirmy for you! ugh!

LynnEl Springer said...

You are an amazing woman! It was so wonderful to see you and Nate and your awesome children a month ago! We are so happy that you included us as you made your journey eastward! I would have LOVED to hear Nate speak as the keynote speaker. He is such a terrific speaker. *so are you!* We love your family so much! And so glad to see an update and pictures on your blog!
LynnEl

Tyler and Dru said...

L.O.V.I.N.G. this post!! If you could try and do one of these a week, that would really make my life better! How you do everything you do is beyond me. Super mom of the century. Your kids are the best little people alive! Nora's darling notes and david ripping off his cast....dying. so hysterical. Of course Nate was the keynote speaker. That man NEVER ceases to amaze me. You really did score big time. But then again, look how lucky he got! Loving the shoe picture. Making me laugh as I type this! Love ya!! New york cannot come fast enough.

Laney said...

So fun to get a Meeker update! I loved reading all of this. Keep them coming!

Kristy said...

How does a six year old pull a cast off a broken wrist. I am asking for real, but that kid never ceases to amaze. And I have to ask. The picture of the first grade choir concert. who is the boy with the dinosaur shirt on. I keep looking at that picture wondering why it is in the post?
I so wish we had more time together. I would love to hear, laugh, and talk about all these stories in person. Love you all!!!