4.14.2009

Easter



And a noteworthy Easter story...
Nate and I played a piano duet in church on Easter. All was going well (okay so we had made our fair share of mistakes) until the air conditioner kicked on and blew the last page of our music off the piano stand. We had to completely stop, reshuffle things, (at which point I turned to the congregation and said "sorry") and then start again. It was pretty funny. We sat down and Tess said, "You guys really messed up."
Later when Nate and I were talking about it I said, "Man, it kind of bites that you can work so hard on something only to be thwarted by some unforeseen element like the air conditioner," to which he shrugged and replied, "Oh, I'm glad that happened. I think it's important for us to show each other that none of us is perfect and there's nothing wrong with that." (That Nate. Always so wise and Zen. I just really like him.)
So a big thanks to all our ward friends for laughing along with us. After all, that's what being a ward family is all about...supporting and sustaining each other even through our imperfections.

12 comments:

Michelle Burk said...

Oh, I'm sorry! I bet it was really good too!
Easter pictures are darling. Cute, cute kids.

LynnEl Springer said...

Oh Erin - I totally feel your pain! When I was a teenager I played a piano solo in church and my last page fell on the floor! I had memorized it tho - so I didn't have to stop and pick up the paper, but I know I was completely flustered by it all! I'll always remember it! And I don't think I've ever been to play a piano solo in church again! Great pictures of the fam for Easter! Loved them!

Mark and Meghan said...

love the pictures of will! stinker.

and the musical number was still beautiful!

April said...

I love your kids easter outfits - especially Tess's dress - so cute!

Chelise said...

Your kids are adorable-loved the "buff" egg coloring. And you gotta love music malfunctions. I am so proud of you for playing in the first place.

Shelly said...

You needed air conditioning this weekend?! I'm jealous!

Tyler and Dru said...

i so wish i would have been there. classic moments in the meeker home / ward. that's too funny. you're kids are pretty cool too.

heather said...

Erin I thought your music was Great! It was fun to watch your expressions, when you first started playing both your faces were so serious, concentrating, then after the "music flew" you both couldn't stop smiling. It really was cute to watch you both play and have fun together!

Jill said...

I've been feeling just like that with Chris. Up until he turned 16, things were pretty good. I felt like I had the sheet music and life was good. Now, it's like the last page blew away and I have NO idea what's going on, or which notes to play. He is a completely different kid. I was stressed about it for a while, but now I'm just smiling and letting it happen. Thanks for the analogy (you might need these experiences later when the kids are older!).

matt and eve lloyd said...

k so funny about your piano duet. i'm sure you guys still sounded terrific!! it looks like you had a fabulous easter and your kids looked darling. :) we wish we could have spent it with you all.

Carrie said...

Oh, Erin--I'm laughing--AND sympathizing!! That exact thing happened to me in high school when I was accompanying a musical number at somebody's mission farewell. The singers just kept going while there was all this shuffling behind them. Yikes! For a good long while after that, I TAPED my music to the piano whenever I performed.

Fun to see how you guys are doing!

Andrea said...

Love the story... you are multi- TALENTED!