5.30.2009

Miss Tess Turns 8

I cannot believe I have an 8 year-old. Seriously when did this happen??


Tess made her own birthday banner. I would feel bad that she felt she had to make her own decorations except that this was on the wall about a week before the actual date. Tess likes to be prepared when it comes to her birthday. We talk of little else for 2-3 months prior to the event.
I made her wait while I took this picture of her presents. Pure torture for Tess.
Ahh, the moment she's been waiting for.


We had a fun party for her at Farimont Aquatic Center. 9 of her friends came. I forgot the camera. Surprised? Me neither. But luckily Nate was able to snap a few shots with his i-phone.




Things I never want to forget about 8 year-old Tess:
  • "Mom- Art is my passion!"
  • She will NOT let me throw away toilet paper/paper towel rolls, empty boxes or canisters, etc. "Mom I can create something with these!!" She seems to have a particular interest in 3-dimensional art.
  • She does the messiest schoolwork. (Love you Messy Tessie!) Her teacher and I have both tried to work with her on this, but she doesn't seem to care much what we think. I've decided that she believes every sheet of paper is a blank canvas on which to draw. She colors in her letters, adds embellishments, writes some words small and others big. It's very artistic when you stand back and look at it- it's just difficult to read. :)
  • She insists on decorating her room with gaudy toys and stuffed animals despite my protests... "But Tess that just isn't cute!" And there is no such thing as the phrase "less is more." More is always more with Tess.
  • She regularly goes through the garbage can and says, "Mom! You're throwing this away?!? How could you??" Honestly, I can't imagine what that child's house is going to look like when she's the boss. (Oh wait, she IS the boss.)
  • She waits for me in her bed, writing in her journal, while I tuck the boys in. Then we cozy up in her bed (me, Nora and Tess) for reading time. She reads the pages on the left and I read the ones on the right. It's a fun end-of-day routine.
  • Tess is very emotionally mature. She understands and processes feelings well beyond her years.
  • She's a great big sister! She invents games and activities that can keep the younger kids entertained for hours.

We LOVE you Tess! Thanks for keeping us laughing and guessing for 8 incredible years.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Happy Birthday, Tess!! I can't believe she's already 8! I seriously remember when she was just a baby. I love her banner...I also celebrated my birthday for a really long time before (and after) my actual birthday...but usually secretly because no one else would buy it. So good job for going along :)

LynnEl Springer said...

We love you Tess!! I remember spending your very 1st birthday at my house! And now you're 8! Amazing! Happy Birthday - but it was a month ago - if I recall - It's really May 11 - not June 11!!! :)

Shelly said...

Happy Birthday! I remember when you guys ditched us to go get Tess ;)

Those qualities sound very familiar-especially the trash issues.

matt and eve lloyd said...

tess truly is the best! what would we do without her?