2.26.2010

I'm a sucker.

It was Sunday.
We were at church.
Nora developed pink eye mid Sacrament Meeting.
(Yes, truly mid-meeting.)
Nate had to take her home.
I could read the look of injustice on Will's face...
"Dad and Nora get to go home because of one irritated eye?!"

Fast forward one hour.
Will's cute teacher comes to get me.
She says, "Will has an itchy bum.
I tried to wipe it for him but he said it didn't help.
He says he 'can't concentrate' and he can't seem to hold still."

Itchy bum?
Good grief- what am I supposed to do about that?
"Will, I'm taking you home to your dad."
And then a grin the size of Texas spread over his face.

That's when I knew I had been played.
Totally schooled.
C'mon Erin. Itchy bum? Does that sound like a real symptom of anything?

But it was ward conference and I had stake leaders to attend to.
So I walked Will across the street, (because we live across the street), to the pediatrician.
I told Nate that we needed something for "itchy bum" stat.
And he looked at me with his oh really? expression.
I knew what he was thinking...
C'mon Erin. Itchy bum? Does that sound like a real symptom of anything?

Totally outsmarted by my 4 year old.
Are they really supposed to be this cunning?

I guess it's time to step up my game.
Bring it.

6 comments:

heather said...

Erin, That is so funny! I don't know if it was that he outsmarted you or the way he did it! Either way I got a pretty good laugh! Like you said time to step up your game!

Chelsea said...

ha! Tate is wondering why I'm laughing at Will's picture on the computer right now:) That is so funny... itchy bum, huh? I wonder how long he was sitting in primary coming up with that?!

Sarah J said...

it could have been pinworms. i would have believed him too

matt and eve lloyd said...

hahaha...Will is a sharp one. I love this. I totally would have bought it as well. It's probably a symptom I've thought I've had at some point in my life. I tend to be a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to pain. A totally believable symptom on his part.

Chelise said...

hysterical-Ben and I have laughed till we couldn't see... and then felt so consoled in our little kids who these days seems to think we're just plain dumb!

Kearl said...

Oh, I'm dying right now. But to be on the fair side, my kids have had "itchy bum" problems. Where they didn't wipe well and then it gets all sore and red and I've had to use Evan's bum cream on it. Nothings worse than an "itchy bum". So funny.