9.23.2011

Happy Birthday Mom

1991



There is approx. 1 hour left on this, the day of my mother's birth.
But I couldn't let it pass without publicly thanking this good woman...
For giving me life.
For giving me 6 siblings whom I adore.
For supporting me in every dance performance (hundreds).
For staying up all those late nights to: sew my halloween costumes/prom dresses, type my papers (on a typewriter no less), or just talk.


I recently came across this quote and instantly thought of my mother:

"Whenever...temptations became most alluring and most tempting to me, the first thought that arose in my soul was this: Remember the love of your mother. Remember how she strove for your welfare. Remember how willing she was to sacrifice her life for your good. Remember what she taught you in your childhood...This feeling toward my mother became a defense, a barrier between me and temptation."

-Joseph F. Smith

This is the kind of mother she was.
Her goodness and sacrifice safeguarded me throughout my life.

Never underestimate the power of a righteous mother!

Thanks mom...
for everything!

All my love,
Erin

6 comments:

brucie said...

Aww, that was wonderful!

pat said...

Oh my goodness -- that is so nice!!
Thank you, thank you.

All my love to you, too.

maddie said...

an absolute perfect description of pat! i could not agree more - i remember saying to my friends in high school that i would not sneak out because i didn't want to make my mom feel bad :) we really lucked out. now i'm just trying to be EXACTLY like her. love you sis!

maddie said...

ps you are the BEST writer. you have a gift.

Tyler and Dru said...

love this quote. totally brought tears to my eyes because it truly is the perfect description of pat. and she doesn't see it in herself which i believe is a sign of your always present humility. love this! love you!!

matt and eve lloyd said...

Pat is the best!!! Honestly, where would we be without her? What a perfect tribute.