9.07.2011

It's actually not that funny.

Last night while I was at the church, Nate texted me this picture:




At first I wasn't sure what is was.
Was there an animal on our roof?

So I blew it up.
And OMGosh- there is my 6 year old son sitting on top of the roof.
Our 40 foot high roof with 10/12 pitch, to be clear.
(Go right ahead and start judging our parenting skills. I don't blame you.)
I quickly texted back:
What the h?
Which probably wasn't very appropriate for the church, but hey, I was typing as fast as I was thinking.


Apparently a good-hearted neighbor had seen David climbing out the dormer window and scrambling up the roof.
He quickly called Nate and said,
"Are you home? You're going to want to come outside immediately."
Nate ran out the door, looked in the direction of the pointing neighbor, gasped, told David to "hold still" (mostly so that he could get a picture), and then went and stood below the roof, and told David to "come down very slowly," which he did, crab-walk style. Luckily no one was hurt.


When I got home I went straight to David's room.
He wasn't really in the mood to talk.
But I got a few things out of him.
Why did you go out on the roof Davey?
-Jeesh, I just like view.
Do you know how dangerous that is? You could get really hurt or even die if you were to fall.
-Mom, you only fall if you get really close to the edge.
That's not true David. The roof is really steep. All it takes is one slip and you will fall all the way down.
-Mom, you just have to keep your hands dry.
(What??)


Look David- you've worn out the bum in your new pajama pants from sliding on the shingles.
(I thought this would really upset him because he has a slight obsession with PJ pants, and this pair happened to be new.)
And then I noticed it.
Another pair of pajama pants lying on his bedroom floor that also had a thread-bare bum.


(This is where things got a little more serious.)


David, how many times have you climbed the roof?
-I don't know Mom.
Did you do it before today?
-Yes.
Have you done it more than 2 times?
-Yes.
Like a lot of times?
-Yes.
(In tears now) David, do you have any idea how sad we would be if anything happened to you?? You have to promise me that you will never do this again.
I promise Mom.
No, I need to hear you say these words: "I promise I will never climb the roof again."



He said it.
And then I loved on him, said a prayer over him and sang him a song goodnight.
Well wait- he wouldn't let me sing the song. But I did get 2 kisses.
But only after I scratched his back for awhile.



Nate laughs when recounting this story, but I'm not quite there yet.
I spent hours lying in bed last night, wondering what else David was doing, unbeknownst to us, that might be putting his life in danger on a daily basis.
I probably don't even want to know.
He must have one very busy guardian angel.
I sent a hundred prayers up to heaven, thanking God for keeping our little guy safe.
And a thousand more, pleading with Him to continue to do so.




If I'm gray in the next couple of years, you'll know why.

12 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

Oh my goodness! Are you kidding me??? I can see why you were crying and up all night worried about this kiddo! Good thing he has a Dr. for a Daddy! I can't even imagine him doing such a thing! That is amazing! Wait, I can imagine him doing it! He is your explore-everything child! Seriously, amazing! Glad I'm not raising kids anymore!!! :) Good luck Erin!! :) Love you!
LynnEl

Susie said...

But it IS funny! Come on, admit it.
Guardian angels galore for these kids, I tell you. And us, not to mention. I often wonder how the Lord has seen fit to preserve my life considering all the dumb things I've done. So I probably shouldn't laugh so hard when I see my kids (and yours)do similar dumb things. I should just be grateful they're not dead. Good perspective, Erin. Much more mature than my own. :)

Tyler and Dru said...

wow. i hate to say it but i did laugh quite a bit reading this. how horribly scary and not all that shocking! :) he's always been a man and an aggressive, adventurous one at best. i can't believe this and i'm thrilled you got a picture of it! he'll be in our prayers, extra, for the next 15 years :)

Lettie B. said...

Yikes, Erin! I would be in tears too.

Shelly said...

Ahhh! Still having a heart attack for you. Oh my goodness. This will be Bradford in a few years, thanks for the warning, I'll check the windows.

Michelle Burk said...

Oh, David. I don't think you REALLY want to know all the other things he's been up to. You would never sleep. Quite the story, can't wait for the next one! Maybe consider bars for that window, you know, a little Philly touch to your Boise home.

Brad and Michelle Peterson said...

Oh my goodness! I have to admit, I did laugh and when I told my husband he laughed and said "they are going to have to put bars on that kids window". So impressed with how you handled it. You are such an amazing mom! Other that this incident sounds like Boise is treating you and your fam well!

non said...

Okay, this is C-R-A-Z-Y!!! I saw this post a couple of days ago, and can't stop thinking about it. Dave really is fearless, which will come with a lot of scary situations for you. Luckily you handle it amazingly. He sure needed you as his mom! Love that David. Oh, and he'll really love that picture someday.

Kearl said...

No, that deserves a BIG "oh, my H***" even in church. I'm dying for you.

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Okay. I know it's only funny because he isn't paralyzed right now. BUT, since he isn't. . .man, that is FUNNY! Holy cow. You guys have your hands full. So so freaking hilarious, that picture has got to make the wedding day slide show. Definitely.

maddie said...

how did i never comment on this? i'm with non aka eve - i have not been able to stop thinking about this even 2 weeks later! i love dave so much - so happy that you are his mother so that he'll be alive next time i see your cute fam :) i am absolutely certain he would not have made it past 2 with my parenting skills. so thrilled that nate got a picture before the big rescue.

Tyler and Jeena said...

That is crazy and scary. I think we both have crazy boys on our hand. That is why Carson has been called Crash pretty much since birth. We will both be gray sooner than later. Can't wait to see you next month.