1.23.2012

Week in Review


Last Saturday we took the kids to see Hugo in 3D.
Nate and I agreed it was the most visually stunning movie we had ever seen.
About 40 min into it,Tess leaned over to me and whispered,
"This is the longest preview ever. When is Puss in Boots going to start?"
I giggled for the rest of the movie.

For Sunday dinner I made:
Flank Steak in Ginger Jalapeno Marinade
Cream of Asparagus Soup (which elicited a kiss on the cheek from Tess)
Whole Wheat bread
Apple and Endive Salad
All from the Horsley family cookbook.

It didn't taste near as good as Mom's.
And I was too exhausted to make dessert.
But I'll keep working on it.
Someday, someday...

After dinner, Nate gave Tess, Will and Nora their piano lessons.
And David his electric guitar lesson.

Because David's not really a classical music kind of guy.
Then with his guitar out, Nate serenaded me with an upbeat version of Barry Manilow's Can't Smile Without You.
I love it when he does that.

Monday (MLK Day) was declared a Pajama Day at our house.
My favorite kind of day!
I tried to help David clean his room.
We weren't getting anywhere.
He was determined to hang on to every candy wrapper, broken lego and even the 3 day old milk sitting on his bedside table.
I resorted to showing him pictures of hoarders' houses.
Like this:


After this visual demonstration, we were able to whip David's room into shape.
He started saying things like,"Oh mom, I can breathe so much better in here now."
We even took an hour to organize his legos.

(Now how long do you think that's going to last?)


On Tuesday, the kids spent lots of time playing with the newly organized legos.
Except for Will who did lots of this for a change:



Wednesday: Nate and I (but mostly Nate) taught swing dancing to the youth in our ward.

Thursday: I had a 2 hour religious discussion with 2 Catholic friends. I found it invigorating. And vowed to do it more often.

It was a post- call Friday for Nate.
Which means that he didn't have to work.
The two of us had eggs benedict at Goldy's and then hit the slopes.
We have exactly one ski resort in Boise- Bogus Basin.
It finally opened for the season on Jan 19th- the latest opening in the history of the resort.
We were anxious to get up there. And it was a beautiful day.
We got in a total of 4 runs before needing to get home to the kids, but we have decided that this is our new winter Post Call Friday tradition.

On Saturday, we went skiing again.
This time with the kids in tow.
It took us 6, yes s-i-x, hours to make sure all the kids had ski gear, buy/rent what we didn't have, get season pass pictures taken, and get everyone dressed and ready.
We made it to the resort just in time for the afternoon blizzard.
And we forgot to feed the kids lunch.
And also, we (and by we I mean Nate) accidentally put Will's ski boots on the wrong feet.
(But it turns out that he is a total animal on the hill regardless.)

Despite the setbacks, we had a pretty great time.
Until we didn't.
And then we went and got 1 lb greasy cheeseburgers.

Which kind of makes me sick just thinking about it.

And that wraps up a week in the life of the Meekers.

---------------------------------------------

Now good people, please take a moment to pray for sweet Jack who will be having heart surgery on Wed.
Jack was born with Down's Syndrome to Chad and Jamie (my step-cousins...or something like that).
Read about their sweet family on Jamie's blog here.
Read this post and you will be crying for days.

And visit Jamie's design blog here.
There is no home improvement project this girl won't tackle.
She's completely fearless.
And...she's hilarious.

2 comments:

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Erin~

Ah. Thank you So much for your prayers and kind words for Jack. Part of what makes this experience so hard is that I can't really do anything physically to make Jack better. The outcome lies within the hands of others and the will of God.

Hard to accept. But the one thing I can do is pray. And pray my heart out. You have no idea how much it means to me to have others join me in these efforts. As his mother, my prayers are all I can give Jack, and I want more than anything to give him everything. To make everything better and safe. So, thank you for taking time and joining me in my personal battles. I will forever be grateful. Much love.

Tyler and Dru said...

sweet jack! i pray everything is okay. cute post! i love these day by day posts because i miss the little details about your life. i LOVE the part about showing david hoarders pics. i feel i may have to steal that idea with tyler. he has tendencies. don't tell him i told you that! :) give your kids a kiss for me. i miss them! and you and that handsome hubby of yours.