1.15.2012

The world we've created for our children and Will loses his first tooth.

On Tuesday I helped out in the childrens' classrooms at the school.
Two things to note:

1. They had a "Lock Down Drill."
Not to be confused with your average fire drill.
A lock down drill is when you practice what to do should an armed lunatic come onto school property.
Lock the door from inside the classroom. Turn off the lights. Get under your desks. Make sure you can't be seen from the window in the door.
Seriously?
This is what our world has come to.
I felt a moment of true panic as I crouched underneath the table alongside the students.
What if this were really happening?
I can't believe my 6 year-olds have to practice this.
And yet, I'm grateful that they do.

On a lighter note...
2. Will lost his first tooth.
Up until that point he hadn't let us near it.
I had no idea it was so loose, until I happened to notice it hanging forward in his mouth at a 90 degree angle.
"Will we need to pull that tooth or you might swallow it during lunch."
He reluctantly opened his mouth.
After all, the tooth fairy won't come unless you have an actual tooth to put under your pillow.

Later that night, I asked Nate to get some pictures to record the occasion.
The next day I found these beauties on the camera:


Wow. Thanks babe. Those are...um....really great.
It's a cryin' shame you chose medicine as a profession instead of photography. 

4 comments:

matt and eve lloyd said...

Laughing out loud. So exciting about Will's tooth!! Tell him congrats. I'm also very excited about your new years resolution. Now that you've moved away you must blog more. It's kind of like a duty to your family. :) Love you guys.

Caribute said...

I remember doing "air raid drills" in elementary up until about third grade. I had no idea what they were for at the time, and It wasn't very often, but it did happen. The Cold War vs. the armed lunatic. Every generation has got theirs I guess. Congrats to Will.

Tyler and Dru said...

nate the photographer. i'm dying. so awesome. and yes, quite horribly scary that they practice lock downs now. my poor baby. he's got a crazy world ahead of him.

Kristy said...

I give Nate extra points for putting up two fingers to pull down Will's lip. I found a picture the other day of my pulling down Kat's lip with my middle finger. Nice...