7.15.2008

THE REAL LIFE

Please tell me that you all have similar conversations with your children on a regular basis...
Erin: Tess it's time to do your chores.

Tess: Noooooo Mom I don't want to.

Erin: Yes Tess, right now. You're supposed to do them right after breakfast. Don't make me ask every day. Just do them.

Tess: But Mom if I do all the work what are YOU going to do?

Erin: I assure you that your doing 3 small chores still leaves me with plenty to do.

Tess: Like what!?!

Erin: Tess, moms do chores all day long. We wash the clothes. We cook the meals. We pick up everyone's messes... Be grateful you just have 3 chores in the morning.

Tess: But mom it's NOT FAIR! The babies don't have to do chores.

Erin: That's not true. They help pick up their toys every day. Plus they're 3, you're 7, and you get paid to help out, so hop to it.

Tess: But mom it's so BORING!

Erin: Tess- everyone has to do their part. That's what makes a family work. Now stop sassing and start unloading the dishwasher or I will have to take away part of your allowance.

Tess: Okay, but just so you know my toe really hurts and I feel like I'm going to throw up (somehow her "toe" - what??- and her nausea always flare up when there is an unpleasant task to be done).

Erin: Thanks Tess- we appreciate your sacrifice for team Meeker.

David: Here Mom- take it.

Erin: What is it?

David: A booger.

Erin: Um, gross. I don't want your booger. Go put it in a kleenex and throw it in the garbage.

David: No Mom, you take it.

Erin: No Dave- take it to the garbage.

David: No Mom, you take it.

Erin: Okay Davey, I'm going to get a kleenex. Don't move, I'll be right back...(coming back)... David, WHERE'S THE BOOGER??

David: It's on the couch.

10 comments:

Shelly said...

LOL!! Those two exact situations (though I won't tell you what Emma does with the booger) happen ALL THE TIME at my house. Nicole often says "I have to do EVERYTHING!" and sometimes I feel like I'm constantly listing everything I do, to her.

Nicole often stomps and kicks and screams on her way to time out-does Tess do that too?

Chelsea said...

Oh boy! I can't wait for these conversations to happen :) That cracks me up! I remember when I was little I LITERALLY thought I was Cinderella (before she met prince charming) and I always had to do all the chores. I would walk around the house saying "cinderella, cinderella" in my most annoyed voice. My poor mom. I'm sure Tate will follow in my charming footsteps!

Unknown said...

hahahahaha - so funny! laine just skips the David conversation about her boogers and wipes them on her closet door (right by her bed), and then we get to have the Tess convesation about cleaning them up! (well...among other things.) and I love those pictures. so classic.

p.s. so glad you're blogging!

little me said...

Erin your blog is soo cute glad you gave in!! I still think Tess is 3 years old She is so cute and sounds alot like Noah Everything is boring to my kid. You guys are so cute thanks for the peek into your life!! LeAnn

Mark and Meghan said...

so glad you've joined! and my conversations with porter are headed in the same direction as yours are!

i loved the pictures of thailand! how awesome was that trip?! i want to go now...(but i guess i have to wait until i'm 40? that's FOREVER!) ahhahahah

LynnEl Springer said...

Oh man! The memories your blog brings to my mind! At one point in my mothering - I completely wrote down a list of everything I would make my one child (since I have 6 I won't mention that she was my oldest also) do because she was so put upon all the time, and I was so mad at her that I wrote out a list of everything she had to do from then on - and my list went on for 2 pages! I was no longer going to do anything for her! She could really ruffle my feathers back then! Not any more tho - and think how well she turned out!!! :) Such fun! Your life is so fun to relate to!

And I also have to say that I can picture Nate turning 30 maybe - but definitely not 40. Dang! I think of you guys as my kids' ages and not a step ahead of them! Nate will never be old - and since Erin's got the gift of younglooking in her genes - you will never be old EVER!

Tyler and Dru said...

seriously.......you're life is the pinnacle of perfection. i hope you know that:) i can just hear tess and david saying those things. love it!

matt and eve lloyd said...

Ha ha...even though your children are a little wild, I really love their
stories!! Remember how I would somehow comment on how lazy mom was at every primary program I was in? Ya, I totally have sympathy for Tess. All our mom did was sleep when I was little. Just kidding! That's really funny though! Someday they'll appreciate all you do for them!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

First of all, thank goodness you've got a blog, yet another reason to get up in the morning for me. :) (seriously, I do love blogs).

Secondly, I have watched Nora's singing debut over and over and over. It is beyond hilarious, you've got to send that on to the news media.

Third, as far as conversations with kids goes. Mine just ignore me, so count yourself lucky!

jarak said...

Hey Erin, I'm sure you would'nt remember me, I think we only met once, but I always had a hudge crush on you the first time I saw you at evergreen jr. and through olympus high, looking back I know it was silly but you had to know you were the bomb. yea we never shared a class together, mainly cause you were smart and I was'nt or it could be I was a grade below you, not sure. I'm glad to see your having a wonerful life, and a great husband and very cute kids, almost as cute as my 3 year old, (only kidding). So anyway after all this time I just had to say something. AND YEA YOU STILL LOOK GREAT