1.26.2009

What can YOU buy for $23?

This weekend I was able to answer that question like this:

  • Top Sirloin Fajita Strips, ~1 lb
  • 4 Chicken Drumsticks
  • Sirloin Pork Roast, ~2 lbs
  • Lean Ground Beef, ~1 lb
  • 2-lbs Whole Carrots
  • 5 Fuji Apples
  • 5 Oranges
  • 1 Romaine Lettuce
  • 3 Red Bell Peppers
  • 2 Avocados
  • 5 Pears
  • 5 Tomatoes
  • 1 Stone Ground's Artisan Wheat Loaf
  • 16 oz. Rice

All for only $23. Deals this good make me a little light-headed.

It is all possible through The Community Food Co-op of Utah. (A big thanks to my friend Marie, queen of the co-ops, for introducing me to this program!)

Interested? Basics of the program:

  • You place and pick up your order once/month.
  • You are required to do 2 hours of volunteer service for each month that you place an order. But it can include things like: church service, volunteering at your child's school...basically anything!
  • The "standard share" costs ~$23. (That's what I got.) Each month the standard share is different but always includes at least 4 meats, 5 veggies, 3 fruits, grains. You also have the option to add things to your order. (Or for you vegetarians you can get the "harvest share" which includes everything but the meat.) You'll have to look at the website for all the details.

Nate patiently waited while I set everything out on the counter to take a picture, and then promptly proceeded to make himself this beauty with all the fixins:

Secret ingredient: sweet peppers (Thanks Angie for that tip!)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the co-op!

When I live on my own, I do it because it is such a stinkin' deal.

My sister who lives on a dairy farm in Pennsylvania...she also runs a CO-OP there...very successful.

PS: Yes on the oatmeal...I always think it look texture wise...discusting!

Andrea said...

Ok, I am totally impressed. Too often I see posts like this and it's stuff I would never buy even if it were free. (no offense to anyone who buys that stuff.) I need to find a coop like that here. We do pretty good with bulk stuff from the cannery, which we use everyday, but fresh stuff is expensive.

Mark and Meghan said...

honestly, i was pretty skeptical about it when marie emailed us all that. but the veggie's look good. how's the meat? that's what i'm still having a problem with! let me know...

Michelle Burk said...

So impressed! It makes me miss produce junction in PA. How would I find out if such a co-op exists here in Idaho?

Chelsea said...

wow...really? I've never even heard of that? I'm totally getting on and doing it. Well for all the darn service I do I should get a LOT more!! haha, TOTALLY kidding.

Chelsea said...

ps- how do you survive with 4 kids? You make it look so easy, I think I might kill myself after this week:) Or, it will kill me more like it.

Andrea said...

That sandwich looks GOOD. What a bargain!

matt and eve lloyd said...

Holy poop. That's a lot of food for so cheap. I love it! And the sandwich...don't even talk to me about it. I'm super jealous.

p.s. You're always invited to things like the film festival. Don't be silly. (I wasn't in charge of inviting people) :) Love ya!

Chelise said...

Yummy! How did you find out about such a thing and I wonder what goes into starting something like this because chances are GOOD that nothing like that exists here.

SuZaNNe said...

Thanks for the tip and the website, I will have to check it out. Have a great day!!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Yummy. What a cool thing I wonder if the Fabulous state of Texas has such a thing? Make sure Nate calls, we'd love to see him.

Shalice said...

Erin! Fun that you have a blog too. Just for your information....I have been reading your entire blog because you are so hilarious! I love it! Can't wait to keep in touch through this.

I have got to check out this co-op thing....looks great!