2.01.2009

Things that keep me thinking into the wee hours of the night

Pres Gordon B. Hinckley:
"I just cannot get over the tremendous responsibility we have. There has been laid upon us as people of ordinary talents the work of carrying the gospel of Jesus Christ to all the world. I just speak of myself and wonder if I should be doing a little more."

Hmm- I'm thinking if Pres Hinckley thought he could do a little more, that there is probably a great deal more that I could be doing.

Do you remember when Pres Hinckley died, and everyone kept going on and on about how happy they were that he was reunited with his sweet Marjorie? Well- I totally agree with that. Except when I miss him. Which I still do. A lot.

Pres Ezra Taft Benson:
"I work as hard as I can. I try to be obedient so the Lord knows I'm serious about Him. And then I trust the Lord to make up the difference."

Do I live my life in such a way that the Lord knows 'I'm serious about Him?' Does He know I'm on His team? (Go team Jesus.) Are there things that I do that would make Him doubt that? Hmmm...should I make a list?

And this one- this one- totally blows my mind. It's written about Marjorie Hinckley. I absolutely adore Sis Hinckley. I like to think that I'm the best friend she never knew she had. But there are probably a good many of us that feel that way. Because she was that kind of person...

"What everyone felt in her presence was the pure love of Christ...It was the pure love of Christ that allowed her to stop worrying about how the world saw and treated her, and left her free to focus her attention on others. It was the pure love of Christ that allowed her to rejoice in the accomplishments of others without feeling jealous or intimidated; to focus intently on others rather than worry how she was being viewed. It was the pure love of Christ that, over time, made her oblivious to the enticements of the world. It was because she was filled with the pure love of Christ that she never failed to have the impact on others that she had. And the results were stunning."

Ya. New goal: get me some more of that kind of love.

**All of these quotes are taken from the book, "No One Can Take Your Place" by Sheri Dew.

14 comments:

Kristen said...

Erin, you make me laugh, out loud! I think that if you are just thinking about this, you are doing great! Thanks for the reminder though, I think we could all use the nudge to help build the kingdom of God.

LynnEl Springer said...

Erin,
You are awesome! We all know our shortcomings tho, and I feel the same way you do - am I really measuring up - doing all I can to further the work of our Savior? Thanks for helping us all keep that foremost in our thoughts! I love you!

Mama Springer!

Chelise said...

Thanks for making ME think. You are wonderful. This was a much needed change of thought this morning.
Did I mention that I love being in touch with people this way? It makes me feel as if all the great people that have come in and out of our lives don't really have to go out. I'm glad to be able to keep knowing you!

Chelise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Church Fam said...

I need that book beside my bed. I loved those quotes. Thanks! Also, I too have some BFF's that don't know it. :)

Michelle Burk said...

The last quote was amazing. Thanks for sharing it. It is so easy to be weighed down by our own struggles, but to know that kind of love and have no stress about what others think, perceive or things they have is an amazing feat. And dido what Chelise said about keeping in touch. xoxo

Anonymous said...

So I have a funny thought....on your serious post.

When you wrote "Go Team Jesus". Well Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ right? Well I went to this boutique once....and there they had an ornament that was hand painted to say "Go Jesus, its your birthday" all around the ball.

So when I read Go Team Jesus, I thought of the ornament, which in reality made me think of the birth of Christ, and with the birth comes the death of Christ. So in the end, I still ended on a spiritual note.

Oh and I miss reading when you dont post for days (not that I have room to talk!).

Andrea said...

Very good stuff. I'm glad that this is keeping you up at night instead of how you are going to rescue your kids in a fire or some other far fetched disaster. :)

matt and eve lloyd said...

Thanks for the wonderful quotes!! And don't worry....I will always think you are amazing.

SuZaNNe said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I needed it more than you know. I'm grateful for people like you that can help the rest of us focus on what matters most!

Andrea said...

i loved this post, Erin. Thank you.

Kearl said...

We watch a movie on Pres. Hinckley the other day. It was talking about all that Pres. Hinckley did for the church during his lifetime, which was amazing and tons, but I just kept thinking of his sweet wife at home alone, and just kept thinking "now there is an amazing woman to sacrifice so much to let her husband do so many amazing things." I would love to be more like her in so many ways.

amanda said...

I love those Quotes!

Tyler and Dru said...

i'm in tears at work reading this post. i just loved every word of it. you are more like sister hinckley than you'd ever allow yourself to believe. but that's what makes you so wonderful. you're always looking for ways to improve and be better.