2.25.2009

Stretched too thin

Today I responded to a friend's request by telling her that I would be happy to help sometime around August. What? Apparently, I am now booking my time 6 months in advance. When did things get so out of control?

I know you are all in the same boat. What is it exactly that fills up our time? And are all of those things really important? Or even necessary?

Hmmm, I think it's time for some changes...

So in an attempt to find order and balance, and perhaps greater simplicity in my life (and because lists make me happy), here we go:



Priorities:

1. My relationship with God

2. My marriage

3. My beautiful children

4. Home= heaven on earth

5. My beautiful YW

6. Friends

7. Other volunteering opportunities (schools, etc.)

8. Personal time



Am I forgetting something? Probably. But this is a good start.



Details:

Stop snoozing. The schedule works well as long as I get started on time...which I very rarely do.

Get off the dumb computer.

Only check email once (or twice) per day. Facebook and blogs twice/week. (Sorry blogging friends- I love you all- but I've got to find some time somewhere.)

Rediscover my love of reading.

Read a good balance of books- one novel, one church book, one classic

Exercise 30-40 minutes 5 times + 1 dance class per week.

Keep volunteering in the kids' classrooms but maybe not chair the silent auction for next year's fundraiser. It's taken too much time away from my little ones at home. I can be more involved again in the years to come.

Remember there's a time and a season for everything and it's okay to not do it all right now.

Less is more.

Learn to make bread with the wheat grinder that has been tucked away in its box since Christmas.

Go for a walk or bike ride with the kids on good weather days.

Find a time to practice piano with Tess and stick to it.

Just finish painting/decorating the house already. No more excuses.

Contact each of the YW at least once/week.

Have one full night each week dedicated to nothing but Nathan (even if it means missing out on something social).

No raised voices in the house- this was our New Year's resolution and it's going quite well. Makes such a difference!

Quit thinking I can do it all myself and rely on the Lord a little bit more. Ahh- I think I've just stumbled upon the real secret.

So I guess that's a good place to stop. It felt good to organize my thoughts for a moment.

Now, back to work...

8 comments:

Lettie B. said...

I like your list and can relate to many of them. The computer can consume your life! I get so much more done when I avoid it. I'm impressed with your exercise goal. I'd like to just even exercise once a month, that's how bad off I am! I agree with a time and season for everything. It makes me think of old ladies who start a new hobby at like 80 and still have time to perfect it. You are right - we don't need to do it all now. My mom used to grind wheat and make homemade bread. It was the best stuff on earth. Right out o the oven we'd butter and honey it - so good!

Shelly said...

Amen! I've seen things here and there about goals recently. If you don't set them, you can't accomplish them.

Sending you good thoughts (especially when your alarm goes off tomorrow).

Chelise said...

Once again you've inspired me. I too have found myself tipped way too far to one extreme this week and wondering what is truly important. If anyone can do all this it's you lady! Thanks for sharing-it's wonderful.

April said...

I'm totally worn out by reading your list! Really, though - it's going to take organizing to get done all that you do!!!
I like the 'no raised voices' thing - I'm going to try it!

Tyler and Dru said...

i completely agree with you on this one. why do with think we have to be involved in everything and that just saying "no i can't participate in this one" is such a crime!? i loved your list. i'll have to refer back to it one day when i have a houseful of children and a huge calling in the ward. you're amazing. and i hate it when you guys leave early on sundays. no more of that!

SuZaNNe said...

Wishing you luck with your morning alarm and your list :) I agree about the secret of relying on the Lord a bit more. I think it is something that all of us moms need to be reminded of. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Ummm okay so you can do the check blog thing only once a week.

BUT....that means you have to update. Its a rule!

Roman said...

I think I will re-read your list once a week as a good reminder to myself of what is really important. Nice job, Erin. Just remember if you don't have a successful week, that's okay, because Monday will always come around again and your can start over.