5.06.2010

"The" talk.

Last night Nate and I took Tess to her favorite restaurant, Katmandu.
Indian and Nepali cuisine. Mostly she loves the naan.
We had decided that it was time to have "the" talk with her.
You know, the one about the birds and the bees.
I had been told by friends that if we hadn't discussed it by the time she was 9, we would be too late. She would have already heard it all during recess.

Well, I'm happy to report that innocence remains.
The look of shock and horror on her face said it all.
She was able to stammer, "What?....How?....But doesn't that hurt?!" before bursting into tears and begging us to "please stop talking about it."
We tried to convey that it was actually a very beautiful and sacred (and fun) thing when done at the proper time. That it actually brings a husband and wife closer together.
And then we told her that if she ever had any questions she could always come to us and ask.
She responded that she would "never want to talk about it ever again."

Oh sweet, tender-hearted Tess.
We love you just the way you are.

Here are some pictures of younger, simpler times:

Parents day at Tess' dance class.





Tess dances at Virginia Tanner on the U campus.

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

I'm literally wiping tears off my face... from laughter (and a bit sad too, that she's so grown up). But mostly from laughter just trying to picture all 3 of you having this conversation at dinner! Not that I don't think that was a great choice, it's just I can SO picture Tess's dramatic's as she bursts into tears and tells you to stop talking!! Oh, poor thing- she is a woman now:) haha, just kidding Nate:) I think it is crazy that the recommended age is 8 now. That just seems SO young for that, although I know it's true. My parents never had "the talk" with me, and they probably should have considering the "things" I heard about it from the gross boys at recess. I think I had heard about everything by the time I was in the 9th grade! sad to say.
Oh my gosh, this is a funny story though- really funny! I can't wait to see you and get the full story and actions in person:)
xoxo

Stacey said...

HAHAHA oh that makes my heart sad for her.

I am more than scared to someday have that talk with my kids!!!!!!

Tyler and Dru said...

honestly best story i've heard all year. i only wish you would have recorded it so we could all witness the bursting into tears! she is the most entertaining human on the planet. i would have paid big bucks to see that. so so adorable. i just love that little girl to pieces. way to be good parents and have the uncomfortable talk with her! i found out from andrea and dori as a child and i remember it was definitely upsetting. moments of parenthood i don't necessarily look forward to.

matt and eve lloyd said...

Okay so funny...you definitely should have told all of us so we could have come spy. Love Tess. I can't believe she's a real woman! Way to go guys.

Kearl said...

Oh, that's awesome. I love it.

Tyler and Jeena said...

I was just telling Tyler it was time for Kaden too since he told us that during the bear unit at school that the bears got married and had cubs. I hope we don't have the same reaction--but refreshing nonetheless.

Chelise said...

These are the days we NEVER forget, right?! The "talk" with Emmy almost felt as if we were killing the innocence-a little hard. But I love her sweetness. Fun story!

maddie said...

oh my gosh i'm just sick i wasn't there! poor little tess - i remember when i learned too... we were in the black suburban by highland high school driving to grandma's when pat just casually told me (can't you just hear her - completely calm and all). as you can tell i'm still scarred. seriously i'm dying. can't wait to bring it up next time i see her haha KIDDING. love love it.