8.28.2008

Um, what's that noise? That can't be good...

Let me just set up the scene: It is Monday night and we are coming back from our trip to Sun Valley. It's 10:30 p.m. The kids are exhausted. Nate and I are beyond exhausted. School for Tess starts the next day. Nora has had an accident in her carseat (something that never happens) so we've been smelling urine for the last hour. We are so anxious after 5 hours of driving to just get home and into bed. We (finally) walk into the house and as I set down the first load of suitcases I hear something that sounds a bit like Niagara Falls coming from our basement. Oh dear... I run (with as much energy as I can muster) down the stairs and see what appears to be a torrential downpour in the laundry room. Oh yes, in our absence a water pipe had burst. (Okay so I love old homes until something like this happens.) Thank goodness for the big drain directly beneath the waterfall. And thank goodness that the burst hadn't happened too much earlier. At least we assume it didn't happen that much earlier because the water was actually fairly contained. Just wet in the laundry room and the immediate surrounding hallway. The kids' bedrooms and playroom/family room were dry (thank goodness!) Actually, we consider ourselves quite lucky. It could have been a lot worse. But just some food for thought: you may want to shut off your water next time you go out of town. No doubt we will!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I heard about this from Wy- I can't even imagine how frustrating that would be after such a long day! Good thing Nate is such a handy man and you got it taken care of quickly. We are definitely turning our water off from now on! that's miserable!!