11.12.2008

Grandpa's ER

So you know when you begin a phone call by saying, "Dad, do you have a scalp stapler?" that your day's not going well.

Yesterday, just after (and I mean JUST after) I had updated my facebook profile by saying that I was "loving that I had nowhere to be today," I hear a big crash and David's immediate high-pitched screaming. I run into the family room to see a trickle of blood running down the back of his neck. Okay, don't get light-headed. Stay focused Erin.

I page Nate with our family emergency code (our number + 911) and he promptly calls back:

Nate: Hey what's up?

me: (with David screaming in the background...about the blood getting on his PJs mind you and not the pain) Um, David hit his head. Really bad. There's a 1/2 inch gash and blood is dripping down his back.

Nate (ridiculously calm): Hmm- did he pass out?

me: No, he was screaming right away. But there's a lot more blood than our usual head injuries.

Nate: (totally unruffled): Okay, well do you want to drive up here and let me take a look at it?

me: Ya- I'll be right there.

Nate: Why don't you page me with a code so that I know you're here. What code do you want to use?

me: Yes.

Nate: Erin- listen to me. What code are you going to use?

I finally muster the brain power to focus on the sound of his voice and give him a code. (Can you tell why Nate's the doctor and not me?)

Now it's almost 11:00 a.m. and the kids are all still in their PJs. But as I stated previously, we didn't have anywhere to be. So don't judge me. We throw on snow boots and hop in the car.

After inspecting the wound Nate says, "Wow Dave- you can see the fatty tissue under the skin. That's pretty awesome." Then to me, "We're going to need a scalp stapler. Do you think your dad has one of those at his office?"

Hence the phone call to my dad, who by the way, does NOT have a skin stapler, but promises to do stitches if necessary. (Nate's reaction..."Ah, but the stapler is so much more fun!") Now my dad is not an ER doc. He's a dermatologist. But this past year his office has also served as the Meeker family on-call emergency room. (Why you might ask since Nate works at a hospital. And the answer is...there's no co-pay at Grandpa's ER!) It brings such great comfort to our minds (and of course, wallets) knowing that "Doctor Grandpa" can take such good care of us each time we gash our heads open. THANK YOU DAD! Last year we took Will in with a split forehead. We decided against stitches and just butterfly bandaged it. David was not so lucky. He got 2 stitches. (I know- all this fuss over 2 measly stitches, but hey, it was the first set of stitches for our fam so it was a big deal!)

David was such a trooper. He didn't make a sound, just kind of pouted.

I promise it looked a lot gnarlier before the stitches were in.

Enjoying burgers at Five Guys afterward. In our PJs. (Blood-stained PJs for David.) At 1:00. Whatever you guys. I'm a good mom.



I also feel compelled to share that before all of this happened I was on the treadmill and interrupted 5 TIMES (literally, no exaggeration) for bathroom breaks during my 30 minute jog. If I were to write an autobiography about this portion of my life it would be titled, "Going Potty: Memoirs of a Mother with three 3 year-olds"... do you think it would sell?

17 comments:

leslie said...

Erin--you are such a trooper, and poor little Dave. How lucky to have such a talented Grandpa. BTW, I was home yesterday--not doing anything, I could have taken your non ER kids, pj's and all.

Tyler and Dru said...

i laughed through that whole post. you are too funny woman. isn't it the greatest thing in the world having dad and nate! you know that as soon as dad's retired and out of the office your husband will be the family's on-call doc. he might want to consider opening up a private practice. so funny about the potty breaks!

Mark and Meghan said...

wow, our two days couldn't have been any different :) poor dave, and yes you are very lucky to have a dad so close and a very calm husband in those situations. mark would've called 911 for sure by then.

but dave looks so happy at fve guys (which isn't very good right?) but that's another post! :)

April said...

k, I'm glad he's ok and that you have all these doctors on hand!
And I'm all about 5 guys in the pj's - that's awesome. You know everyone else there was wishing they had on some stretchy pants too ;)

Leslie Mingo said...

I'm only waiting for the day that I have to deal with Stitches or broken bones. AAWWW! I feel for you.

R AND R AND Z said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes
sounds like you had a full and exciting day. I hope everyone is doing well (now)

Stacey said...

Oh my goodness!!! I would be freaking out, too. But Dave looks super cute getting his stitches! Nate is always very calm when we call him with our family emergencies, too...which happens a lot :) And you look fabulous-definitely not still in your pj's. But it would be ok with me if you were...I've pretty much stopped getting dressed for the day since Chloe was born!

yamsey said...

Glad you guys all survived. We had an ER visit with James once because he hit his head on the coffee table and was bleeding all over. Of course, while we were in the ER he fell off the bed too. I'm a good mom too, sometimes.

Kearl said...

Remember we're only 3 houses down. Drop off the other 2 if something like this happens again. You guys have been lucky to have 4 kids and no stitches yet. I'm wondering when our turn will be.

Amy said...

Not only would that book sell - it would make a great Women's Conference Talk!!! Hmmmm.... :) Even my high school friends in Illinois and NY and Georgia and Kansas love your blog! And ME too!!!

Kristi said...

Poor Dave! And poor you! I think you did awesome - I would have freaked out way worse (and Tommy would have freaked along with me). Glad everything turned out okay. Dave is such a trooper!

matt and eve lloyd said...

Rolfie to the rescue!! I'm sorry for poor David. At least he's super tough and probably loves to look at the huge gash in his head! Erin way to be...I would totally buy your book.

LynnEl Springer said...

Dear Mother of 4: I was not having such a good night last night until I read your blog! Then I was laughing so hard at how you described your morning - Nate's calm reaction, scalp staplers, etc. that I just couldn't even be bothered to write a comment. Instead, I called your house to tell you what a great blogger storyteller you are! Nate answered and we had a great time talking and laughing. He even clued me in to your next church calling! So awesome! You're the best mom ever! I think Mr. Noah was the only one of our kids who had stitches - in his lower lip due to a 400 lb. lady falling on him when he was two! Seth should have had stitches in his leg when he slipped up with a hatchet and hit his shin bone instead of the wood, but he never showed it to me until Amy ratted him out! By then it was too late! Other than that, I don't think we had any stitches or broken bones - lots of ankle and knee pains tho! You're an awesome family! We love you all so much! And it was great to spend 30 minutes with Nate last night visiting!

LynnEl Springer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Erin---you are very funny at telling your stories! :)

Also...random question. But I have been looking for a good dermatologist does he still practice? Maybe I will give him a shot?? Whats his last name... :)

Also thanks for finding my new blog!

Andrea said...

Poor Davie. I don't think it was that long ago that you had a picture of his big goose egg on his forehead! Don't you love 3 yr old boys?!?

Erin said...

Hi Erin! How are you doing? Good thing you have real doctors in your family. Trevor thinks because he's a dentist he can give stitches anywhere on the head. He gave Andrew stitches right over his eye when he was about three. - Erin Knowles