11.30.2008

We're Off

Tomorrow (or I guess today) we leave for Disneyland. Wahoo!
This is picture of the night we told the kids we were going. Nate came home from work with the Fairy Godmother's phone number and told the kids that they could call her and make one wish (which of course would be to go to Disneyland!). Clever right? Ya- we thought so too until Tess blurted out, "I want a puppy...no, a swimming pool!!" Hmmm, think fast. "Well Tess, remember how Dad is allergic to dogs (barely), and if we got a swimming pool then there wouldn't be room for the swing set or tramp in the backyard. Let's think of something that we can all do as a family...like maybe we could go someplace...(lots of blank stares on her part)...like maybe Disneyland." Thinking about it for a few seconds, "No, I want a swimming pool." Drat. This isn't going very well. Finally we convince her that Disneyland is by far the best choice and we make the call. (The 'fairy godmother' was a darling girl that Nate works with.) In the end Tess was pretty excited about the whole Disneyland idea, but a few days later she did say to me, "You know I think that we HAD to wish for Disneyland. I don't think that we really got to choose whatever we wanted." Hmmm- she's onto us. I think we are going to have to think things through a little more clearly from now on.

And here's a picture of the Pilgrim and sombrero-clad Indian that came to our Thanksgiving dinner.

Also, just had to share...
Nate and I and his new iphone went on a date the other night, in which I was definitely the third wheel, and we discovered a great little corner in SLC that you locals have GOT to try out. It's on 9th South and 3rd East. Start at Chanon Thai Cafe for yummy Pad Thai and Red Curry in a straight-from-Thailand, mismatched-place-settings kind of atmosphere, and then head next door to Cocoa Cafe for a mug of hot chocolate that literally tastes like a chocolate bar melting down your throat. Mmmm. Heaven.

9 comments:

R AND R AND Z said...

That sounds like great fun. We might have to use the fairy godmother thing in the future when we take Z to disneyland. Have fun

Andrea said...

Have fun in Disneyland! I can't wait to go there when my kids are a little older.

Michelle Burk said...

Good luck at Disneyland--Fun and Crazy all at the same time with kids. They'll never forget it. Can't wait to see the pictures when you get back.

Tyler and Dru said...

so excited for you guys!! hope you're having a great time. be safe with my kids please!

LynnEl Springer said...

I am so happy for you!! Both that you get to go to Disneyland and that you got to have a date with Nate and his Iphone!!! I wish you would have taken this trip to Disneyland a few weeks ago - when I was only a few blocks from there at Andrew's dad's house! I would have TRIED to have escaped and gone with you!!! Amy did make it there tho for an afternoon - but she has a season pass!! Have a great time! It's my favorite place!

Katie said...

That is seriously the funniest story! I loved it! Even though Tess was on to you, I think it was a very fun and creative plan. What lucky kids you have. You guys are going to have a blast there! I am not going to lie- I am totally jealous. On a more serious note, thanks for sharing your adoption story below. I loved reading it.

matt and eve lloyd said...

I laughed so hard when mom told me that fairy god mother story. Very creative of you and nate though! Hope you're having a blast and I wish I could be there with you!

Andrea said...

Love this post! You are a very talented writer... I check your blog often to partake of your creativity! Hope Disneyland was great!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

That is the best story, I can just imagine their little minds trying to decide on what to wish for. I just love magic. Have fun and make sure you bring them all home (none on the side of road for bad behavior, you know).