9.03.2008

No Pets Allowed

At the Meeker home we have a "no pets allowed" philosophy. Why? Well, mostly because Nate and I are lazy. We have enough chaos as is right now without throwing in other breathing, living things that need to be cared for and looked after.

This has led to sheer desperation for poor Tess. Here she is with her pet snail on Labor Day. She found this snail outside and took him some food and an umbrella to keep dry in the rain.


This snail never got a name, because unfortunately, just after this picture was taken Will accidentally stepped on the poor creature. (Oh you should have heard Tess scream. Actually if you live within a mile radius of us you probably did.)



This brings me to another point- we don't have pets because every time we do the thing is dead within 24 hours.



Last week, our kind neighbors brought us garden-grown tomatoes and squash. Tess chose the largest yellow squash, adopted him as her pet, and appropriately named him "Squashy." (She even took him to school as her show-n-tell on Fri.) Squashy went everywhere with Tess that day (she even strapped him into the seat belt with her in the car)... until David got a hold of him, threw him across the room and broke him in half. Poor, poor Squashy.

Last night I served up Squashy for dinner. Nate took one bite, immediately spit him out and declared him to be "bitter." Now Nate is not a picky eater and never spits out food, so the kids thought this was hilarious.



Note to self: Next time don't prepare vegetables that have been man-handled by children.

8 comments:

Auntie Nay Nay said...

Erin Meeker, do you remember me?

I ran across your blog off of Meg Maughans (she was my visiting teacher). Anyway, I wanted to get your email...so you could be added to my private blog and you can stalk me like I stalk you!

if you want email me your email: hutchins.meg@gmail.com

now on to your adorable children! I agree with the no pets...i just dont do pets. My poor children. Hopefully some other family in the 'hood will hook them up with seudo pets. :)

Unknown said...

well, yet another reason for Lainey and Tess to be kindred spirits. Lainey DESPERATELY wants a pet. Jim keeps telling her that we have a family pet already and his name is Romney, but no matter how much he acts like a puppy, we all still know he's just a brother. poor kids.

but as for the snail thing - earlier in the spring when it was raining a lot, the kids and I pulled a ton of snails out of our garden. and then the kids took them out into the street and stomped them dead. don't tell tess.

leslie said...

I too agree with the no pet rule, but I am the only one that agrees in my house--so now we have way too many pets.I long for the days when we had just a goldfish that quietly swam around in its little bowl with little or no care, and when it died Ryan or I just went to Walmart to replace it without anyone knowing.

yamsey said...

Did you read my entries about the boys' toads? Apparently we have the same issues with pets as you. And although one day I would really love for the boys to have a dog, I am crazy allergic and I can not imagine all of the work that would come with it. It would be more work than just having another kid! My sister Lisa has a blog and has a really great gerbil entry you should read. halfofmyheart.blogspot.com

matt and eve lloyd said...

I love pets!! Maybe I'll change my mind when I have kids. I keep asking Matt to get me a dog, and he refuses for multiple reasons...we have no money and he hates animals. Squashy...Tess is a character. I wonder what her classmates thought of that. Sorry I have no bowling and five guys pictures. I didn't have my camera and took all those pictures with Pat's camera. Did you get your new camera yet?? Sorry! I still love you guys!

LynnEl Springer said...

My question is - Did Will step on the snail with bare feet??? EEEYYEEWWWWWWWW!!! Squashy could have been the snail's name too!! :)

Shelly said...

You are not lazy. We have a no pet policy too. Neither of us grew up with pets and we don't want to do the work, I'd rather put my time elsewhere.

Laughing about the pets' demise though, poor guys (all our fish have died too).

Chelsea said...

this is so funny!! i didn't see this post last week? tess is so cute with her little animals- and I'm so glad I wasn't over there when Will stepped on it. oh boy.