9.15.2008

Sunday dinner

Without a doubt my favorite day of the week is Sunday. Okay, so maybe not the part where Nate is at meetings and I am frantically trying to get all the kids ready and bags packed for 9:00 a.m. church. But once I get to church I love it. And I really love it when I get to take a nap that afternoon. And I really really love it when we go to my parent's house each week for dinner. My cute parents always work so hard to make the evening enjoyable and relaxing for our family. It is the best part of the week. Thanks Rolfie and Pat...what would we do without you??
The evening always starts with an exquisite meal. Seriously, my mom is quite the chef. I can't imagine why my kids don't eat dinner very well on nights that I do the cooking.
The menu this last Sunday:
Grilled Herb Shrimp with Peach Salsa
Marinated Flank Steak
Colosimo's Italian Sausage
Pasta, Pesto and Peas
Pecan Whipped Yams
BLT Salad
Dessert- Apple Crostata with homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Enjoying the meal:
Tyler, Eve, Matt

Tyler was the only one cooperating with my picture-taking at this point, so he deserved a shot all by himself.
Wy, Ty and Chels

Dad on weekly clean-up duty


Once dinner is over, we all head outside.

Tess is ready for hot-tubbing...in her boots

Brian and Cole (Dori's family).

Brian has become our resident babysitter/child entertainer. The kids LOVE him. Will's blessing on the food (with Nate helping him) went something like this:

Nate: We're grateful for grandma and grandpa
Will: We're grateful for gramma and grampa....and Brian!!



The happy couple trying to finalize the guest list for their wedding. Oh the stress.

Cute footprints of the grandkids on my parents' patio

My favorite corner in my parent's house (Many of you are well-aware of the small obsession I have with my parents' piano.)
The best part:
Leftovers!!

11 comments:

Chelsea said...

Well said- even I get a little nostalgic just looking at the pictures! Dinner is always the BEST I've had all week, we have funny conversations and just laugh at our kids all night! It's such a good time, and I'm already dreading the day when it's our turn. shoot!

April said...

oh can I come next time? Serious.
And their home is gorgeous.

matt and eve lloyd said...

Sunday is the best day!! Pat and Rolfe spoil us. And as far as Will's pants...I was just sad that all of you didn't arrive in your underwear and that it was just Will. Work on that for next week...k?

Tyler and Dru said...

so why does my husband-to-be look so happy in that pic of the two of us. he really was enjoying that little activity wasn't he :). i seriously think that meal was one of my all time favorites. but i honestly think that every week. pattie and rolfie are champs! awesome tribute post to the coolest parents in the world. we're really all so lucky!

Mark and Meghan said...

quite the feast...sounds delicious. you're so lucky that you live so close to your parents! which are so cute, by the way!

Andrea said...

Oh man, you are so lucky!!! I HATE living so far away from family on Sundays. I know that all my peeps are getting together without me. (sigh...)

Sara said...

oh goodness! next time we're in utah, we are totally coming over. oh, and p.s., can you share your secrets of adoption with me? i'm plain out of ideas! :)

Shelly said...

Jealous!! I want to come for dinner at your mom's "restaurant" AND I would like to see my family for weekly meals.

How fun!!!

leslie said...

What a great family! That dinner is nothing like the roast/potatoes the turner family is used to on sundays.

Sarah said...

i love sunday dinner. the picture of pat with the headphones is so classic- i remember seeing her wander around in the middle of the night with the headphones. eliza does miss you very much and would like to see you very soon.

Carrie said...

OK, now I'm homesick! I miss being spoiled by Sunday dinners. I'm glad you guys have so much fun together . . . you seem like a great family. I bet you appreciate the get-togethers more for having lived in other states for a while!